Saturday, March 1, 2008

Hi Friends







Sheri has invited a few people to visit. I am glad she approves of everything so far. I will post some photos I was never able to share with friends, much less the world. These photos are from mid/late 2004 (about 7-9 months old). She got glasses at 6 months old. I think the photos are are important in our story. . The glasses are important, too but that is a different story! I apologize if this blog seems to jump backward, forward, then backward in time. All I can say is try and keep up people! I don't see how my random thoughts could cause you problems? I will try and label posts to help! But labels and time line are not the same. The middle photo is just cute and really shows her, "little carpenter hands". The bottom photo is mom and Mak' and one of her first smiles/laughs. The laughs were rare commodities for the first two - three years. They are almost none stop now. The top photo is Little Mak in her first spica cast, bilaterally dislocated hips. One of her multiple congenital anomalies. Four years after this photo I can say the hips are NOT in place, and she has reached a point where putting them in place (through surgery) is no longer an option. So that is the first time I can say hopes and reality collided. The hope: (They would do surgery when Makenna showed signs that she will be ambulatory, (crawl/walk)...or something like that). So we can only blame Makenna! Because she still doesn't show signs of crawling, or walking. I didn't know there was a time frame, I specifically asked about, "crawl by 4 years old or walk by 8 years old, if not forget it?" I got that off of some orthopedic website. Our ortho hadn't heard of that theory, or agree with it I guess because we did not have until 4 to prove crawling. We just learned, one day, "it is too late to discuss putting those hips back in place". Maybe they were right? At almost 5 she still doesn't show signs of crawling or walking. She shows interest but no real effort! I honestly believe she will walk some day, but it will be no credit to the Pavlick harness, the spica casts, or traction. I never got a read on the doctor's opinion about his optomisim at the beginning. And I still don't know if he is supprised with the outcome? But you have to try somthing and we are thankful for all he did. Same with future posts about scoliosis. I really shouldn't even know how to spell that word...scoliosis, much less what it might mean to an infant, and worry about what it will mean in her future.

No comments: